Do you have clutter?
- Shoes, electrical cords, and magazines can be hazardous in walkways. Always keep walkways clear.
- Rearrange furniture so they are not obstacles.
Do you have regularly used items out of reach?
- Put regularly used items on shelves within easy reach between hip and eye level.
- Keep a sturdy nightstand next to the bed so glasses and other personal items are within reach.
- If you must reach overhead, keep a stool handy.
- A long-handled grasper can be used to reach objects that are on high shelves or on the floor.
Do you have spills that go un-wiped?
- Spills on the floor can be dangerous. It is best to wipe up spills as soon as they happen.
- Place a non-slip mat in the sink areas to absorb water which spills on the floor.
- A slippery bathroom floor, bathtub or shower?
- Always use a non-skid bathtub / shower mat.
- If you bathe in a shower, consider installing a non-skid shower chair and hand-held showerhead so you can sit while bathing.
- Avoid using bath oils or lotions in the bathtub
- Avoid pulling up on the sink to get up from the toilet or bathtub. Bathroom sinks are generally not securely fastened to the wall or floor, and are not intended to support your weight.
- Install grab bars or handrails in the shower, on walls around the bathtub, where necessary.
- Use raised seat and safety rails for toilet.